Thursday, June 14, 2007

Left out...

So it is very late in the night, or one could say very early in the morning and I just returned from an all night movie/being lazy fest with about 6 of my close friends living here. I have not mentioned the experiment to any of them. I just pretend when they are watching television or reading print that I am uninterested or I forgot to do something else at the moment.
But tonight, I think they may be onto what I am doing.
My friend, who could possibly be the number one fan of Paris Hilton (save her) whipped out a series of magazines and articles on her experiences and stories so far in jail. It was immediately the focus of the night. I tried to pretend that I was uninterested, which is a blatant lie, and distanced myself from the group. Now my friends are bright and educated people, but they do not read the paper everyday nor do they ever turn on CSPAN or CNN. So, I never expected this experiment to coincide with my social world. I have now realized whether you realize it or not, the print world, while many claim it is outdated and only check the news online, still reach out to these outlets without even realizing it. I felt left out, but it was a nice reminder that print journalism is still as important as ever.

No comments: